Thanks to my bush experiment last year I decided Kraters were the way to go. Lots and lots of Kraters. So the first thing I did was make sure I was legally allowed to dig them. I am, so long as they remain under a certain size.
So the work began. We dug the initial holes with the front bucket loader.
Look ma, no hands!
Then I went in with our new excavator and did some ground softening/terracing work.
Of course, life is not complete without back breaking physical labor. So I went to work with the hoe refining my terraces. Then I had to add the topsoil back into the holes and hoe the terraces again.
It’s kind of hard to tell. The one krater has a rather unique design though. You see, I originally thought I’d be able to deepend the Kraters a bit. However, the kraters were pre-dug 20′ in diameter. The excavator has a 7′ reach. I wasn’t able to get to the middle, no matter how I tried. So I didn’t try to deepen any other kraters but the one ended up with an island in the middle. I find it a perfect place to plant a paw paw.
After I put the topsoil back on I cover cropped the works.
Husband and I took a day off to plant them out.
We had just a little big to plant…………………………..
The aronia berries are holding up to our hot weather nicely. The cover crop seeds are also coming up!
I’ll update pictures when we have notable growth. It’s exciting!